This is by far the best recipe for hummus I have ever tried. It’s perfect!
• 3 tablespoons juice from 1 to 2 lemons
• 1/4 cup water
• 6 tablespoons tahini, stirred well (see note)
• 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
• 1 (14-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (see note)
• 1 small garlic clove, minced or pressed through garlic press (about 1/2 teaspoon)
• 1/2 teaspoon table salt
• 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
• Pinch cayenne
• 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro or parsley leaves
WHY THIS RECIPE WORKS: To develop a hummus recipe with a light, silky-smooth texture and a flavor profile that would balance chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, and olive oil, we emulsified the chickpeas and oil in the food processor. For the best flavor in our hummus recipe, we chose our tahini carefully and used it generously.
We recommend Joyva or Krinos tahini and Pastene chickpeas (see related tasting). The hummus can be refrigerated in an airtight container for 5 days. If you do not plan on serving it immediately, refrigerate the hummus and garnishes separately. When ready to serve, stir in approximately 1 tablespoon of warm water if the texture is too thick.
1. Combine lemon juice and water in small bowl or measuring cup. Whisk together tahini and 2 tablespoons oil in second small bowl or measuring cup. Set aside 2 tablespoons chickpeas for garnish.
2. Process remaining chickpeas, garlic, salt, cumin, and cayenne in food processor until almost fully ground, about 15 seconds. Scrape down bowl with rubber spatula. With machine running, add lemon juice-water mixture in steady stream through feed tube. Scrape down bowl and continue to process for 1 minute. With machine running, add oil-tahini mixture in steady stream through feed tube; continue to process until hummus is smooth and creamy, about 15 seconds, scraping down bowl as needed.
3. Transfer hummus to serving bowl, sprinkle reserved chickpeas and cilantro over surface, cover with plastic wrap, and let stand until flavors meld, at least 30 minutes. Drizzle with olive oil and serve.
Source: Cook’s Illustrated