A friend of mine shared this recipe with me: “This recipe is vegan, but you would swear there was cream in it as the texture is so silky. The soup was delicious the first day and even better the day after. If it’s a hot day, go ahead and eat the soup cold. I think a garnish of yogurt or sour cream would be just as nice. You could also add yellow pepper, Serrano pepper, and a handful of spinach to up the nutritional value.”
2 lbs zucchini, trimmed and chopped
3/4 c chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1/4 c olive oil
4 c water divided
1/3 c packed basil leaves
1) Julienne the skin from half of the zucchini with slicer, toss with 1/2 tsp salt and drain in a sieve until wilted, at least 20 minutes. Coarsely chop remaining zucchini.
2) Cook onion and garlic in oil in a 3 to 4 quart saucepan, stirring, until softened–about 5 minutes. Add the chopped zucchini and 1 tsp salt and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Add 3 cups water and simmer partially covered until tender–about 15 minutes. Puree soup in small batches with basil added. USE extreme caution when blending hot foods!
3) Bring remaining cup of water to boil and add the julienned zucchini skin for 1 minute. Drain and set aside.
4) Add more liquid to thin soup if necessary.
5) Season soup with salt and pepper to taste. Serve in shallow bowls and garnish with julienned zucchini mounded on top.