These cupcakes are super rich, nutty, and warm. They are both vegan and gluten-free. Based on a recipe from The Sweet Spot bakery in Fort Worth.
5 oz unsweetened dark chocolate (70% or higher cocoa)
1/4 cup ground espresso
1/4 cup carob powder
1 cup Woodford Reserve Whiskey (vegan and GF)
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup Earth Balance
1 1/2 cups beet sugar
1/2 cup raw brown sugar
4 1/2 tsp Ener-G egg replacer, 10 tbs water
1 tbs vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup spelt flour
1 cup kamut flour
5 tbs agave nectar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt dark chocolate, and let cool.
2. Put espresso powder and cocoa powder in a measuring cup, and add boiling water up to the 1 cup measuring line. Mix until the powders dissolve. Add bourbon and salt; let cool.
3. Beat Earth Balance until light and fluffy. Slowly add in sugars. Add in Ener-G mixture. Beat in the vanilla, baking soda, and melted chocolate, scraping down the sides after each ingredient.
4. With the mixer on low, alternate adding the bourbon mixture and the flour, beginning and ending with the flour.
5. Pour into cupcake liners, filling about 2/3 the way full. Bake for about 19 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool completely, then top with chocolate ganache and sprinkle with nuts.
4 tbs almond milk
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup Earth Balance
1/2 cup carob powder
1/4 cup maple syrup
Melt chocolate on medium-low heat. Do not burn. Add Earth Balance, almond milk, brown sugar, carob powder, and maple syrup. Stir until smooth, and keep burner on very low heat so mixture stays semi-melted. Add carob powder and Earth Balance as necessary to thicken. Add maple syrup and sugar as necessary to sweeten.